Thursday, April 20, 2017

Another story

I was the undertakers paycheck this week 
I put the milk and eggs in his refrigerator 

my headstone was crafted by a strangers hand
With another Bukowski quote slapped on like an honor student bumper sticker

They picked out my coffin while I was away
In all honesty though, they picked the prettiest one
With crimson velvet and beautiful mahogany wood

Too bad I wouldn't know the difference between it and a cardboard box

They dug that hole
Not really caring if it was lopsided or exactly six feet deep 
Just as long as it would get the job done 

Then the preacher spoke the same words said at a funeral yesterday and the same ones he would say at another one tomorrow 

And lowered me to the ground 
Tousled and upheaved to hurry it up and tossed dirt on top of my casket to engulf that expensive wood

thank goodness it was over and I could leave




1 comment:

  1. I'll never get tired of your writing, this is amazing!

    - Jo

    ReplyDelete